Effectiveness of Teaching Programme on Knowledge and Attitude of Mothers Regarding Play of Under Five Children
Keywords:Attitude towards play, Children, Knowledge regarding play, Teaching program on play
INTRODUCTION Play is essential for healthy growth and development of children as it fosters their cognitive, physical, social, and emotional well-being. This study aims to ﬁnd out the effectiveness of teaching program on knowledge and attitude of mothers regarding play of under ﬁve children in a selected municipality of Rupandehi district, Nepal.
MATERIAL AND METHODS This was a community based one group pretest and posttest interventional study conducted from December 2020 to May 2021 among 255 mothers of under ﬁve children from randomly selected 3 wards out of the total of 13 wards of Siddharthanagar municipality of Rupandehi district in Nepal. Pretest was followed by educational intervention on play of under ﬁve children and after seven days of educational intervention, posttest was done among same mothers.
RESULTS The study found that before intervention, level of knowledge regarding play of under ﬁve children was inadequate among 98.4% of the mothers and attitude was unfavorable among more than three-fourth (76.1%) of the mothers. After the teaching program level of the knowledge was adequate among 100% of the mothers and attitude was favorable among 100.0 % of the mothers. The post-test knowledge mean score was higher than the pretest knowledge mean score with a mean difference of 17.90. The calculated “t” value (-52.92) was highly signiﬁcant with p value < 0.001. Similar to this, there was a mean difference of 21.38 between the mean attitude scores before and after the intervention. The calculated "t" value (-146.80) was highly signiﬁcant with p value < 0.001.
CONCLUSION The study concludes that teaching program tends to be effective in enhancing mothers’ knowledge and attitudes towards play of under ﬁve children. Thus, community health nurses should implement such education program on play therapy to mothers of children under ﬁve.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Journal of Universal College of Medical Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors have to give the following undertakings along with their article:
- I/we declare that this article is original and has not been submitted to another journal for publication.
- I/we declare that I/we surrender all the rights to the editor of the journal and if published will be the property of the journal and we will not publish it anywhere else, in full or part, without the permission of the Chief Editor.
- Institutional ethical and research committee clearance certificate from the institution where work/research was done, is required to be submitted.
- Articles in the Journal are Open Access articles published under the Creative Commons CC BY-NC License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/)
- This license permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, and it is not used for commercial purposes.