Overweight Among Medical Students in Universal College of Medical Sciences: A Descriptive Cross Sectional Study
Keywords:Anthropometry, Body mass index, Overweight, Prevalence
INTRODUCTION Overweight is a lifestyle disorder affecting both physical and psychological health of a person. The rate of overweight index is rising in people from all walks of life. The main aim of this study is to ﬁnd out the prevalence of overweight among medical students in a tertiary care center creating self-awareness in them.
MATERIAL AND METHODS This is a descriptive cross-sectional study done in 385 students in a tertiary care hospital from 15th August 2022 to 30th Novem- ber 2022.The sample was collected by simple random sampling method after the approval from the Institutional Review Committee of Universal College of Medical Sciences (reference number UCMS/IRC/100/22). Height in meter and weight in kilogram of students were measured to calculate body mass index and grouped according to Asian Criteria categories normal BMI is between 18.5 to 22.9 kg/m2, BMI 23 to 24.9 kg/m2 would be considered as overweight and BMI > 25 kg/m2 would be considered as obese. Data was analyzed by using Statistical Package of Social Science software version 16.
RESULTS Among 385 students, 70 (18.1%) were found to be overweight with 95% Conﬁdence Interval. Overweight males were 37 (9.6%) and females were 33 (8.5%) respectively out of the total number of male 173 (44.93%) and female 212 (55.07%). The mean age of the students and the mean BMI was found to be 21.01 ± 2.01 and 22.39 ± 3.54 respectively.
CONCLUSION The current study shows the prevalence of overweight among medical students is slightly higher than in studies done in similar settings.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Journal of Universal College of Medical Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors have to give the following undertakings along with their article:
- I/we declare that this article is original and has not been submitted to another journal for publication.
- I/we declare that I/we surrender all the rights to the editor of the journal and if published will be the property of the journal and we will not publish it anywhere else, in full or part, without the permission of the Chief Editor.
- Institutional ethical and research committee clearance certificate from the institution where work/research was done, is required to be submitted.
- Articles in the Journal are Open Access articles published under the Creative Commons CC BY-NC License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/)
- This license permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, and it is not used for commercial purposes.