Valuation of Mast Cells in Oral Epithelial Dysplasia and Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma Staining With Toluidine Blue Stain: A Histochemical Study
Keywords:Mast cells, Oral epithelial dysplasia, Oral squamous cell carcinoma, Toluidine blue
INTRODUCTION Mast cells present in the connective tissue stroma release pro inﬂammatory and mitogenic cytokines. The mast cell in tumor act as a host immunologic anti tumor response. More than 90% of oral cancers are squamous cell carcinomas with oral epithelial dysplasia being the most common potentially malignant disorder. Mast cells play an important role in tumourigenesis.n some studies, with different granules of mast cell is closely related with angiogenesis and tumor invasion. In this study we used toluidine blue for the staining because it reveals mast cells as large, purple, oval and granulated cells.
MATERIAL AND METHODS 30 cases of oral epithelial dysplasia, 30 cases of Oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) and 10 cases of Normal oral mucosa (NOM) were studied for mast cell number using toluidine blue. Mast cells were counted using an Olympus CX41 microscope ﬁtted with an Olympus oculometer grid. Counting was carried out at ×40 by two independent observers and was done in six non overlapping ﬁelds in each slide. Mast cells were identiﬁed on the basis of the purple color attained by the granules after toluidine blue staining, but the nucleus of these cells appeared blue.
RESULTS Highly signiﬁcant increase of mast cells in oral epithelial dysplasia on comparison with OSCC whereas there was only a signiﬁcant increase in mast cells in OSCC on comparison with NOM.
CONCLUSION Mast cells can be used an indicator of increased angiogenesis and can help in the prediction of carcinogenesis, its progression, and also in the prognosis of the malignant lesions.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Journal of Universal College of Medical Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors have to give the following undertakings along with their article:
- I/we declare that this article is original and has not been submitted to another journal for publication.
- I/we declare that I/we surrender all the rights to the editor of the journal and if published will be the property of the journal and we will not publish it anywhere else, in full or part, without the permission of the Chief Editor.
- Institutional ethical and research committee clearance certificate from the institution where work/research was done, is required to be submitted.
- Articles in the Journal are Open Access articles published under the Creative Commons CC BY-NC License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/)
- This license permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, and it is not used for commercial purposes.