HEMOPTYSIS: HOW TO MANAGE ?
Keywords:Endobronchial measures, Hemoptysis, Physiological lung exclusion, Pulmonary, Tuberculosis
Hemoptysis is the expectoration of blood coming from tracheobronchial tree or pulmonary parenchyma. It is one important symptom which brings the patient to a doctor quickly as it frightens the patient and his family very much. It may be streaky or massive ( more than 600ml in 24 hrs ) which can be dangerous to life. Pulmonary tuberculosis remains number one cause of hemoptysis in developing countries. CT Scan chest and bronchoscopy can give most of
information in these patients. Massive hemoptysis is life threatening and requires prompt treatment. Number of
endobronchial techniques like ice cold saline lavage, balloon tamponade and bronchial artery embolization have been devised to temporarily control hemoptysis. Surgery remains the treatment of choice and pulmonary resection has been the most effective method for control of massive hemoptysis and prevention of recurrent hemoptysis in majority of patients. Surgical rather than medical methods reduce patient's mortality rates due to massive
hemoptysis. Newer technique of physiological lung exclusion2 has given much better results than standard lung
resection for hemoptysis with minimal mortality and morbidity.
How to Cite
Authors have to give the following undertakings along with their article:
- I/we declare that this article is original and has not been submitted to another journal for publication.
- I/we declare that I/we surrender all the rights to the editor of the journal and if published will be the property of the journal and we will not publish it anywhere else, in full or part, without the permission of the Chief Editor.
- Institutional ethical and research committee clearance certificate from the institution where work/research was done, is required to be submitted.
- Articles in the Journal are Open Access articles published under the Creative Commons CC BY-NC License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/)
- This license permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, and it is not used for commercial purposes.