A study to determine the prevalence of oxidised low-density lipoprotein in retinal venous occlusion in a population of West Bengal
Keywords:Oxidized low-density lipoprotein; Retinal venous occlusion; Prevalence
Background: Oxidized low-density lipoprotein (ox-LDL) has been implicated in both coronary artery disease and retinal vein occlusion (RVO) because of atherosclerosis. However, there is no study to show the prevalence of ox-LDL in RVO till date.
Aims and Objectives: This study aimed to find the prevalence of ox-LDL in RVO in a population of West Bengal.
Materials and Methods: A 2-year prospective cross-sectional study of consecutive, unrelated adult patients, with a diagnosis of RVO, attending the outpatient department in a Medical College, was taken up for study. A pilot study was done to determine the expected prevalence of ox-LDL. Sample size was calculated based on the formula n=d2z2pq(z=1.96, d=0.04, p=0.196, q=0.804, n=minimum sample size). ox-LDL was measured in a total of 512 subjects who were selected based on the inclusion and exclusion criteria.
Results: In this study, 272 males (aged 50 ± 7.2 years) and 240 females (aged 46 ± 7.7 years) with RVO were screened for ox-LDL. Elevated ox-LDL levels were found in 142 patients out of 512 participants in this study (27.7%). Moreover, 102 cases (19.9%) were found to have both raised LDL and ox-LDL, whereas 40 RVO cases (7.8%) had only elevated ox-LDL among the study participants. 71.8% of 142 RVO cases with elevated ox-LDL levels also had raised LDL levels, whereas remaining 28.2% had normal LDL cholesterol levels.
Conclusion: It is high time to look beyond the traditional lipid parameters such as ox-LDL cholesterol levels as a risk factor of RVO. This study proved that ox-LDL cholesterol is highly prevalent in RVO cases. Thereby, proper screening of ox-LDL is a must as a tool for risk reduction of RVO cases, especially in a population with normal LDL cholesterol levels.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Asian Journal of Medical Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The journal holds copyright and publishes the work under a Creative Commons CC-BY-NC license that permits use, distribution and reprduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes. The journal should be recognised as the original publisher of this work.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).